header2-05.jpg

Check Availability

Check in Date

# of Nights


Quick Links

Accomodations
Browse | Search

About FrioFun & Concan
FrioFun Map | FAQs | History of Concan

What's Going On
Calendar of Events

Photo Gallery
Frio River Photos | More Coming Soon!

Contact Info

FRIO FUN

P.O. Box 199
Concan, Texas, 78838
USA

Call for reservations:

Call: (830) 232-5721
Fax: (830) 232-6894
Email: info@FrioFun.com

Join Our Email List

Search Properties

History of Concan, Texas

CONCAN, TEXAS. Concan (Con Can) is on the Frio River and State Highway 127 in north central Uvalde County. According to local lore, the town was named after "coon can," a Mexican card game.

Before the era of European settlers, Concan was mostly inhabited by the Pachal and Payaya Indians, Coahuiltecan groups. The first European to visit the majestic countryside was Frenchman, Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieru de La Salle who recorded his travels in 1865

By 1970 the town and the surrounding area had become a popular tourist spot. During the fall and winter, hunters, in search of deer, doves, and wild turkeys, stayed in Concan; during the spring and summer, visitors came to enjoy the clear waters of the Frio River.

In 1720, The marques de Aguayo crossed Frio County by way of the Old Presidio Road on his way to East Texas. This trail was soon referred to as the Comino Real or King’s Highway which became the main road from Mexico to San Antonio and the route of a monthly mail service. In the 18th century, it’s said that Gen. Juan de, Antonio López de Santa Anna, and Adrián Woll made camp near the Presidio Crossing in northwestern Frio County. This camp was named appropriately as “The crossing” because of the numerous swords, sabers and cannonballs reportedly found there. It believed that if one looks close enough they might find remnants of the bloody battle.

In 1856 one of the first people to settle permanently in Frio County was Bend Duncan. James Barry quickly followed and in 1860 was the first to ranch the area. By the end of 1860, eleven families had made Frio County their home. These early settlers included Mexican War veterans Benjamin Slaughter, William A.A. Walls and James W. Winters just to name a few.

The religious needs of the pioneer settlers of Frio County were served by circuit riders such as Rev. William Monk, John W. DeVilbiss, W. C. Newton, and the "fighting parson," Andrew J. Potter. In June 1880 several men journeyed to Frio City and organized the Rio Grande Baptist Association, the county's first religious organization.

With ranching, churches and schools forming, the area quickly grew and began to have many visitors. These visitors enjoyed hunting the country side for deer and quail in the fall and enjoying the cool waters of the Frio River in the summer showing that some great things never change.

 
Small Business Web Designs